The Leinster School of Music and Drama (LSMD) was founded in 1904 to promote education and teaching in the arts in Ireland. In 1998, the LSMD relocated to Griffith College Dublin becoming a fully owned constituent school of the College
Since then it has continued its teaching and examining activities with the support of the College. Currently there is a large network of teachers nationwide teaching the LSMD’s various syllabi and preparing students for examination, with approximately 15,000 students and teachers being examined annually. Several members of the current teaching staff are also firmly established in the performance arena. This experience, combined with their depth of teaching knowledge, enhances the unique learning experience offered by the School.
HITTING A HIGHER NOTE
Why study at The Leinster School of Music and Drama?
- The Leinster School of Music & Drama has over a century of experience in Music and Drama Teacher training.
- This programme is fully accredited by QQI making it an internationally recognised accredited qualification.
- Highly focused and experienced teachers, many of whom are active in the performance arena.
- These are the only Higher Diplomas in the country offering specialised music and drama education qualifications.
- This programme offers a progression route for those who have achieved a high level of music/drama performance and theory to advance their studies to third level.
- University style facilities; library, study rooms, state of the art lecture rooms, restaurant, over 376 car parking spaces (allocated on a first come first served basis). A highly extensive music library with music texts, sheet music, CDs and access to the online catalogue. The drama library which is wide-ranging has been accumulated over several decades and is constantly updated. This includes plays, literature, drama theory and educational texts.
- Performance oriented facilities, including a 600 seater concert hall.
- Fully equipped studios with the latest industry-standard music software for writing, recording, performing, editing, mixing and composing music.
- A fully equipped recording studio.
- A range of study options and schedules that will suit students with different work schedules.
- A range of study options will enable professionals already working in the field to avail of the opportunity to further develop their professional skills.
- Study and practice facilities in Dublin are open seven days a week, with online learning and search facilities.
Moodle – our online support resource that you can access either on campus or at home, where lecturers can post additional material and where you can take part in discussions with your class colleagues and your lecturers. A range of study options are available to you. • Full-time and part-time modes. • The choice of evening or morning lectures, combined with block release. • The possibility to take the programme in three stages under the QQI Accumulation of Credits and Certification of Subjects (ACCS) scheme.
Students on this programme take two performance modules from the Higher Diploma in Arts in Drama Education, allowing them to concentrate on developing their performance skills at a high level, with a view to progressing on to a drama teaching qualification. Modules in this programme are certified under HETAC's Accumulation of Credits and Certification of Subjects Scheme (ACCS). This programme is of one year's duration. The programme will be delivered as a day and evening programme (two days per week over two semesters).
Experienced and dedicated teachers provide excellent one to one and group tuition to pupils of all ages and levels. The emphasis is on learning through enjoyment, and while exams are encouraged they are not compulsory.
Students past and present are prominent performers both at national and international level, with many appearing at The National Concert Hall and venues throughout Ireland, and many others employed by orchestras and opera companies around the globe. Many of the current teaching staff are also firmly established in the performance arena. This experience, combined with their depth of teaching knowledge enhances the unique learning experience offered by the School.