Medical Insurance

European Health Insurance Card

EU and EEA Students who have a European Health Insurance Card can benefit from free medical care. Students must keep receipts from visits to the doctor. Students will be reimbursed when they return to their home country. Please be advised to have your European Health Insurance Card issued before you travel to Ireland.

Non-EU/Non-EEA Students: Medical Insurance Requirement

All Non-EEA students are required to have private medical insurance when coming to and residing in Ireland for the purpose of study. The private medical insurance should provide cover for accident and/or disease and should cover the student for any period of hospitalisation.

You can apply for private medical insurance here.

For guidance on what type of cover is required please see the table below (as per Irish Naturalisation and Immigration Service and HIA Health Insurance Authority guidance). 

Learn more: