Visas & immigration
Who Needs a Student Visa?
All students holding a Non-EU passport are required to have a valid student visa to study in Ireland. There are two categories:
- Students who need a visa before they travel to Ireland
- Students who can enter Ireland without a visa and who can apply for their student visa after they arrive in Ireland, with the assistance of the Griffith College International Office.
Find out what you need to enter Ireland based on your nationality here.
Where to Apply for your Student Visa
Students who need a Student Visa to enter Ireland should contact the Irish Embassy or Consulate in their home country for full visa information.
For a full listing of Irish Embassies and Consulates click here.
How to Apply for your Student Visa
The following is the list of key documents required for the student visa application.
Please note that other supporting documents maybe required and students should contact the local Irish Embassy or Consulate to obtain information on the full documentation required. Click here for a full listing of Irish Embassies and Consulates. Students can also refer to the Irish Naturalisation and Immigration Service website for detailed information.
- Visa application form
- Student visa declaration form
- Education documents from high school and university where applicable
- Internationally recognised English proficiency certificate e.g. IELTS
- Evidence of finances - you should be able to demonstrate that you (or your sponsor) have sufficient funds to support your living expenses while in Ireland and be able to meet the cost of your programme of study. The INIS (Irish Naturalisation and Immigration Service) recommends students to have access to at least €7000 per year for living expenses
- Proof of Medical Insurance -Griffith College provides medical insurance for all students
- Proof of course fee payment
- Proof of enrolment on the stated course
- Evidence of previous immigration and travel history, if any
- Evidence of pervious work experience, if any
- CV to detail student's academic/professional history to date
Please also note that your passport should be valid for a period of 12 months after the estimated completion date of your course.