Certificate in Architectural Drafting, 2D CAD and 3D CAD
Advance and enhance knowledge, skills and competencies in architectural drafting, 2D CAD and 3D CAD.
This part-time 10 ECTS, NFQ level 6 certificate programme comprises two modules, delivered across two semesters; Architectural Drafting & 2D CAD (5 ETCS); and Advanced 2D CAD & Intro to 3D CAD (5 ETCS)
- Semester 1 introduces principles of a series of architectural drawing techniques using pencil and ink and 2D CAD. The module enables students to develop skills in the use of architectural drawing using pencil and ink and 2D CAD as a means of communicating design ideas
- Semester 2 builds on skills gained in Architectural Drafting & 2D CAD and to introduce advanced detailing using 2D CAD. The module also introduces principles of 3D modelling techniques using 3D CAD. The module introduces principles of a series of architectural drawing techniques using 2D CAD and 3D modelling techniques using 3D CAD.
- The course is aimed at learners from a design or building environment background who wish to advance and enhance their knowledge, skills and competencies in architectural drafting, 2D CAD and 3D CAD, and receive formal certification for these.
- This course is also suitable for those who want to complete it as part of their lifelong learning or who wish to progress in the workplace.
- The course provides a pathway for students who do not have formal qualifications or training in art and design and may be considering a career or academic study in this field.
- Dublin - Part-Time - September 2024
Architectural Drafting & 2D CAD (5 ETCS)
The aim of the module is to enable students to develop their skills in the use of architectural drawing using pencil and ink and 2D CAD as a means of communicating design ideas.
The objectives are to introduce the principles of a series of architectural drawing techniques using pencil and ink and 2D CAD.
- Introduction to Module and Assignments
- Architectural Drafting (using pencil and ink)
- 2D CAD
Advanced 2D CAD & Intro to 3D CAD (5 ECTS)
The aim of the module is to enable students to develop advanced skills in architectural drawing techniques using 2D CAD, and building 3D models using 3D CAD.
The objectives are to build on skills gained in Architectural Drafting and 2D CAD and to introduce advanced detailing using 2D CAD. The module also introduces principles of 3D modelling techniques using 3D CAD.
- Advanced 2D CAD
- Sketch Up
If you have any questions please get in touch with us at [email protected] or 01 415 0429.
This course is scheduled to commence in September 2024 at Griffith College Dublin's Main Campus and online via Zoom.
This part-time programme runs one evening per week from 6.30 pm-9.30 pm (online) and four Saturdays (Dublin Main Campus) from 10 am-5 pm, for two semesters.
(Dates and evening to be confirmed)
For further information please contact [email protected]
How to Apply
Applicants Under 23 Years:
Minimum 5 O6s/H7s in the Irish Leaving Certificate (to include a minimum of grade O6/H7 in English or Irish and grade O6/H7/F2 in Mathematics), or equivalent qualification.
FETAC Level 5 Full Award
Applicants Over 23 Years:
Applicants who are over the age of 23 may apply on the basis of previous work experience and a demonstration of commitment to further education.
Applicants from countries where English is not the first language will also be required to provide evidence of sufficient English language abilities.
- An A2 drawing board
- An adjustable set square (larger size) OR 30/60degree and 45degree fixed set squares
- Scale ruler – NB must have 1:5, 1:10, 1:20, 1:50, 1:100 and 1:200 scales
- Masking Tape
- A2 Cartridge Paper (Min 12 sheets)
- A2 Tracing paper
- A2 Portfolio (for transporting drawings to and from College. Plastic is strongly advised for inclement weather. Can be cardboard if preferred and appropriate waterproof carrier is used).
- Clutch Pencil Leads 2mm size (H, 2H, 4H) NB: MINIMUM 3 LEAD WEIGHTS REQUIRED. No F or B lead weights should be used for Architectural Drafting
- Clutch Pencil Sharpener
- Erasing Shield
- Eraser (good quality)
- Sketching Roll A4
- Faber- Castell precision Compass or similar (not required for the first lecture)
- Black Staedtler Pigment liner Pens (sizes 0.05 / 0.2 / 0.5 / 0.8) or similar
- A2 graph paper (2 Sheets)
For purposes of fee calculation, residence is counted from the time of application.
Please note that not all study modes may be offered at all times; for confirmation, refer to the Intake dates on the Overview tab.
Study Mode: Part-Time
Total Fee Dublin: € 1376.00
An Academic Administration Fee of €250 is payable each September at the start of term. For students starting in the January/February term, €125 is payable in February, and then €250 will be payable each September from then onwards
(Inclusive of Tuition Fee EUR1050.00, Academic Administration Fee EUR250.00, 2% Learner Protection Charge ( EUR26.00 ) and EUR50.00 QQI Award fee)
Graduates from this course may develop their skills further by progressing onto the BA in Interior Architecture & Design course at Griffith College and will be considered for exemptions.