This one-semester course gives learners a base level of knowledge in a rapidly expanding field.
This programme is designed to introduce and explore the concepts and practices of retrofit, conservation, sustainability, and planning and building control. The programme aims to enable the learner to engage in innovative and creative technical design case studies within these disciplines.
Why study Conservation, Sustainability & Adaptive Reuse with Griffith College?
In today’s climate, there is a continued focus on developing sustainable approaches to working, and the construction industry is not exempt from this. As such, conservation projects are becoming more common meaning there is an increased need for trained retrofit professionals, whose unique skillset and expert knowledge can be used to encourage more effective use of the existing built landscape. Not only that, but regular changes in legislation relating to the built environment are placing higher demands on professionals within the industry to remain informed of best practices, particularly in relation to health and safety.
The programme is delivered through a mixture of online lectures and on-campus workshops, which take place in the evenings/at weekends to allow for minimal disruption to the working day. Other reasons to consider this course include:
- Learners will gain advanced knowledge and understanding of how to adhere to Irish legislation and legislative change, including building laws and statutory instruments, building regulations (fire safety and disability access), building control and associated theory, sustainability (including BER auditing) and the Construction Products Directive.
- Learners have the opportunity to specialise/gain unique skills that can be implemented in a range of innovative, highly advanced and therefore sought-after projects.
- The course has been developed with input from a wide range of disciplines within the construction sector.
- Learners will develop transferable skills that may open them up to broader, international job opportunities.
- The course is managed by Griffith’s long-standing Design Faculty and is delivered by experts from the industry.
- The combination of a mixture of online and on-campus lectures allows for minimal disruption to the normal working day.
- Full access to Student Adobe Creative Cloud - All Apps plan, which gives you 20+ cutting-edge creative tools for desktop, mobile, and web
This programme is an embedded special purpose award in the Diploma in Conservation, Sustainability & Adaptive Reuse programme. Graduates of this programme can progress directly to the diploma on completion, or within five years of their graduation.
- Designed to meet the skills required by industry
- Provides a solid base for those looking to advance their knowledge of Conservation, Sustainability & Adaptive Reuse
- Develops learner’s understanding of legislation in relation to conservation
- Flexible study mode to allow minimal disruption to working day
- Friendly, approachable staff (who are experts in their fields) provide a supportive learning environment
*Subject to sufficient numbers.