Professional Certificate in 2D AutoCAD with Architectural Drafting
Learn all the basic principles of computer aided design (CAD) systems and 2D drawing.
This introductory course aims to equip candidates with the basic understanding and principles of the 2D drawing environment in terms of hardware, software and physical surroundings.
This course is validated by Griffith College. This course focuses on the development of professional skills, while it does not sit on the national framework the module is drawn from Griffith College's suite of QQI-validated programmes.
Why Study 2D AutoCAD with Architectural Drafting at Griffith College?
The Introduction to 2D AutoCAD with Architectural Drafting course runs on a part-time basis over 2 Saturdays and 8 evenings. CAD is used at all stages of the design process, from conceptualisation and production of working drawings to the production of virtual reality images, and has become an essential part of the modern working environment.
- This course covers a wide range of 2D drawings, editing commands, and routines to aid the application of AutoCAD.
- Students will develop their skills in the use of architectural drawing using pencil and ink and 2D CAD
- Students will learn the necessary techniques to produce and edit drawings of medium complexity and prepare drawings for output.
- Provides a perfect foundation for students who wish to progress in the workplace.
- Option to further your studies by progressing onto the Professional Certificate in Advanced 2D AutoCAD with SketchUp course.
- Dublin - Part-Time - October 2023
- Dublin - Part-Time - February 2024
Architectural Drafting (using pencil and ink)
- Drawing equipment
- Architectural drawing techniques
- Line weights and line types
- Architectural drawings (A series of two-dimensional architectural drawings: plans, elevations, sections denoting materials, finishes and textures – Pencil on A2 Cartridge paper)
- 3-D Architectural drawing techniques (Axonometric View – Pencil on Cartridge paper
- 3-D Architectural drawing techniques (Isometric View – Pencil on Cartridge paper)
- Perspective drawings
- Survey – measurement and drawings
- Visual presentation of Architectural design and Written presentation of Architectural design
- Introduction to Cad Environment and Default Settings
- Panning, Zooming and Crossing windows
- Simple Geometry
- Paper / Model Space/ Introduction to Printing
- Plans, sections and elevations
- Snapping and Coordinates
- Fillet and Chamfer
- Moving and Scaling
- Text and Dimensions
- Line weights and Plot styles
- Layouts and drawing conventions
- Scale and Viewports
If you have any questions please get in touch with us at [email protected] or call us on 01 415 0429.
This course is scheduled to commence on Wednesday, 18th October 2023 at Griffith College Dublin Main Campus.
This part-time evening course will run over 12 weeks, 1 Evening per week.
Tuesday x 8 weeks and Wednesday* x 4 weeks from 6.30 pm - 9.30 pm, see the course dates outlined below.
- Oct: 18*, 25*
- Nov: 01*, 15*, 21, 28
- Dec: 05, 12
- Jan: 09, 16, 23, 30
Contact [email protected] for further information.
How to Apply
Proficient in the use of MS Applications & File Management.
This course is delivered through AutoCAD for Windows. Learners are advised that they will need access to either a PC or a laptop with a Microsoft Windows operating system on which they can install a student copy of AutoCAD which will be made available to all participants of the course.
It is recommended that applicants have a good understanding of both written and spoken English.
How to Apply
Directly to Griffith College Professional Academy
Applicants under 23 years of age:
5 O6/H7 grades in the Irish Leaving Certificate or equivalent award or FETAC Level 5 Full Award.
Applicants over 23 years of age (Matures students):
If you are over 23 years from the 1st of January of this year, you can apply for this course directly using the College’s online application form.
Study Mode: Part-Time
Fee: EUR 990.00