Businesses, whether they’re small, medium sized or huge global multinationals, are at the core of our society and everyday lives. So a degree in business that covers a broad range of skills and topics can lead to a variety of career options inside or beyond the business world.
CAO Course Choice - Business
Key skills that you will learn during a business degree are:
- critical thinking and problem solving
- how to manage budgets and finances, and interpret statistics
- how to successfully communicate with clients, consumers and colleagues, and collaborate within a team
- how to research the market and competitors, and gain an insight into how to maximise the efficiency and profitability of a business
- how to hone your creativity and perhaps produce innovative and cutting-edge products and services
These skills can take you just about anywhere in the world and can transfer to many different careers. So if you're asking yourself, “why study business when I'm not sure what I want to do yet?”, the answer is that a degree in business is perfectly suited to help you in any career!
Business graduates are in high demand worldwide and the numbers employed in financial/business occupations are predicted to increase to well over 200,000 by the end of 2015.
So if you’re a Leaving Certificate student considering taking a CAO course in business then you should feel encouraged that there will be a wide variety of job opportunities available to you once you graduate and you will have good long-term career prospects.
What qualities are employers looking for in business graduates?
Key competencies employers are looking for in graduates include; communication and collaboration skills, problem solving skills, leadership potential, and a strong work ethic.
Many companies look for competencies relevant to a particular role such as commercial awareness, numeracy and customer focus.
Blogger: Lydia Casey