Develop key life skills essential for counselling and a wide range of other professions
The Certificate in Essential Counselling Skills is delivered by the Irish College of Humanities & Applied Sciences (ICHAS) and serves as an excellent introduction to the area of counselling.
This course focuses on the development of professional skills; while it does not sit on the national framework, the module is drawn from ICHAS’s suite of QQI-validated degree programmes. This course leads to an ICHAS certificate.
Why Study Essential Counselling Skills at Griffith College?
This part-time certificate is designed for those who have little or no professional experience but wish to extend their knowledge of interpersonal and counselling skills prior to undertaking more advanced educational training in counselling at degree level. It is also relevant for healthcare professionals, teachers, social workers, managers, customer services, sports coaches and others.
- Students gain practical experience in all aspects of counselling which they can later apply both personally and professionally.
- Students are taught key life skills including the value of respect and genuineness and listening and understanding communication.
- Classes are conducted on a part-time basis, comprising of one evening a week for 10 weeks.
- Small class sizes ensure that you get the one-on-one attention needed to perfect your counselling skills.
- Graduates can apply for further higher-level studies in the field.
- The value of respect and genuineness.
- Characteristics of effective counselling.
- How to question effectively and phrasing enquiries to avoid offence.
- Attending, listening and understanding communication.
- Helping relationships and the culture of helping.
- Goal setting within the client relationship.
- The therapeutic/working alliance.
- Paraphrasing, clarifying and summarising communication.
- Reflecting content and feeling.
We run two intakes for this course commencing in Spring and Autumn.
- February 2022*
- October 2022*
*subject to sufficient numbers
Please see the timetable section for the next course dates.