Award-winning course is conducted on both a full- and part-time basis over a three-year period and allows students to develop their own career path with a range of elective modules.
The BA in Photographic Media prepares graduates to work in the fast-paced and innovative industry of commercial photography and related visual fields or go on to further study. The emphasis of this highly respected programme leans towards a more commercial approach to photography and image-making; the programme is based around a professional approach allied to analytical skills.
Why Study Photography at Griffith College?
Our aim is to equip our image-makers with the necessary skills and understanding required to compete with the artistic and creative demands of a competitive commercial industry. Creating work and content across different platforms including; photo books, website and video are just some of the beneficial aspects of this programme with an emphasis on business and professional practice in the final year of the degree and the experience of exhibiting their work both on- and off-campus.
- Small classes with opportunities to network and work on practical coursework with your peers and allow more tutor-to-student contact and support, offering a welcoming and collegiate learning experience.
- We encourage and support our students through critique sessions, workshops and by publishing work online
- Accomplished visiting lecturers regularly deliver talks and workshops
- Great industry links with opportunities for students to gain real-world experience and network
- Finish the course with tangible assets including professional portfolio, personalised logo, business plan, business card, professional website and self-published book of your work
- The only night course available at Level 7
- Expert photography staff with decades of industry and teaching experience who create a stimulating learning environment.
- Experience working on industry-focused/client-driven assignment briefs.
- Both on- and off-site practical workshops.
- Strong industry links, affording work opportunities for students and graduates to gain real-world experience and network.
- Invitation to join our Griffith College Photo Assist closed network of graduates and tutors.
- Emphasis on business and professional practice in the final year of the degree.
Our course has an enviable reputation in the Irish photographic industry and ranks high with multiple award-winning students and graduates. Our students have amassed multiple awards nationally and internationally and had their work widely exhibited and published. Examples of awards include; The National SMEDIAS, News, Sports and Photographer of the Year, The Inspirational Arts Award, Alliance Française-Emerging Photographers Award and selected works, RHA and Halftone Print Fair.
Griffith College is fully equipped with industry-standard facilities available to all Photography students.
- 4 fully kitted Studios including one daylight studio
- Two Darkrooms
- Two Processing rooms
- 2 x Epson Stylus Pro 4900
- 1 Mac Room for editing and scanning
- 1 Print Finish Room
- 2x Large-format Epson Stylus Pro 4900
- Hasselblad Flextight scanner
- Full-frame DSLR - Nikon and Canon kits available
- Medium Format and large-format analog cameras, which can be used in our studios or taken out on location.
- Flashes, lenses, portable studio light kits, and tripods are available for loan.
We run two intakes for this course commencing in Spring and Autumn.
*subject to sufficient numbers
** February intake commences in semester 2
Are you applying through the CAO?
Read our CAO Guide for everything you need to know about applying through the CAO!
- Dublin: GC470
What our students say
The best decision I ever made was to complete a module at Griffith College in video production. The course was more comprehensive than I expected and great value. I feel I can use my new skills to create professional marketing videos for my stills business and if I wanted to pursue it further I could with more practical experience.
I would encourage any up and coming photographers to apply to Griffith College. The detailed photography course comes with endless support and encouragement for creative development. There are so many opportunities to showcase your work, such as competitions, exhibitions and websites. The course also provides networking opportunities and the chance to avail of their internship programme.
The support, stimulation and encouragement offered throughout this course was as integral as the formal education I received and has provided me with a confidence and skill-set to progress both myself and my photography to new levels. The personal journey was as important as the core content of the course for me.