Our Certificate in Photography is perfect if you have a passion for photography, with any level of experience.
We offer a broad introduction to photographic practices and studies, including knowledge of basic camera skills and photo techniques, working on location and studio practices, coupled with health and safety and best practice in relation to workflow and post-production. Skills are developed in the areas such as the use of shooting manually, developing industry-standard software, research, learning and presenting skills.
Why Study Photography at Griffith College?
Our Certificate in Photography combines the theoretical with the practical to give you a complete comprehension of photography.
- You will develop confidence in both analogue and digital photography – confidence with an analogue camera and developing prints in the darkroom will enhance your digital technique.
- You will gain experience with studio lighting, which is key for portraiture, fashion and still life advertising shoots.
- Small class sizes ensure that you get the one-on-one attention needed to perfect your technical and creative skills.
- Our lecturers are professional photographers, actively working within the industry. They have extensive experience in many genres of photography, including portrait, commercial, fashion and editorial photography.
- You will have the option to progress into Year 2 of the BA in Photographic Media, with the Certificate as a foundation and building block.
- Griffith has been delivering award-winning photography courses for over 16 years.
- Seven-day access to state-of-the-art facilities.
- Facilities include: 2 darkrooms, 1 processing room, 4 studios, 1 print finishing room (with 2 Epson Stylus Pro 4900s) & 1 Mac room for editing and scanning.
- Access to industry-standard photographic equipment.
- Experience working on industry-focused briefs.
- Both on- and off-site practical workshops.
- Regular student coursework feedback.
- Work with like-minded peers in small workshop groups.
- Regular opportunities to have photographs published.
- We encourage and support our students both in the classroom through participative critique sessions, workshops and by publishing student and graduate work online.
- We offer a welcoming and collegiate learning experience.
We provide a range of equipment for students to avail of in order to complete their course work. We have a suite of kit including both Canon and Nikon kit, a number of full frame DSLR’s, two large format professional Stylus Pro 4900 Epson printers) and a professional Flextight scanner.
In stage II students make full use of large format cameras, which can be used in our studios or taken out for location shoots. We also have flashes, lenses, portable studio light kits, medium format cameras and tripods available for loan.
Our programme has an enviable reputation in the Irish photographic industry and ranks high with multiple award-winning students and graduates. Our students have amassed multiple awards nationally and internationally and had their work widely exhibited and published. Examples of awards include; The National SMEDIAS, News, Sports and Photographer of the Year, The Inspirational Arts Award, Alliance Française-Emerging Photographers Award and selected works, RHA.
We run two intakes for this course commencing Spring and Autumn.
*subject to sufficient numbers.
**February intake commences in semester 2
Are you applying through the CAO?
Read our CAO Guide for everything you need to know about applying through the CAO!
- Dublin: GC475
What our students say
Students supporting and inspiring each other, academic staff support beyond the course, feeling part of a community – these are the things which sets a Griffith College Photography course apart from the others. In one year, I have gone from nervously snapping in auto mode on an entry-level DSLR to confidently directing studio shoots and operating complex equipment. The course enables you to try diverse areas of photography, allowing you to explore the many career paths it has to offer and to fall in love with your chosen field. Initially, I thought I wanted to be wedding photographer - and now I am starting my business plan to enter the commercial photography product industry! They give you a thorough understanding of the options available out there, which is so important to new photographers trying to find their direction. Griffith has accommodated my career choices for the future by allowing me to continue on a modular-basis alongside my full-time job. Griffith College has something special here – the time and effort invested in you is priceless.
Before embarking on this course, I did not feel confident in utilising manual camera controls and still had a very limited understanding of photography. This excellent course changed all that. The curriculum is very well put together; the staff are very skilled, supportive and, above all, patient.
The atmosphere is great but the very best compared to other courses is the excellent practical facilities. I particularly loved the developing of the black and white negatives. All the darkroom equipment was in excellent working order and breakages are immediately repaired. There was never any queueing for resources and we had great guidance in the practical sessions.
I got an incredible amount of understanding and knowledge of this course and I cannot recommend it highly enough.