Welcome to all the students joining us this year! We hope you've enjoyed fresher's week. Here are a few tips for settling into college life ...
Top Tips from past students ...
- Don’t be nervous – everyone is in the same boat – so embrace the change!
- Don’t be afraid to ask for help – people don’t mind
- Get involved and be social
- Keep up with your study as it’s harder to catch-up if you get behind
- Research public transport – it’s always handy to know when the next bus is due!
- Make packed lunches as it will help you save the pennies!
- Try to relax and enjoy the experience
Your First Few Weeks
To make the most of your student time at Griffith College we advise you focus on the following four areas:
- Your course – the reason you are here and the first step to achieving your chosen career
- Your friends and social life – both important to keep you motivated
- Your personal development – while your course is important, so are you, so look at what other opportunities and experiences are available outside of your academic studies
- Your future employability – what could you be doing to help you get your dream job when your course is over?
How To Get Involved
Keep up-to-date with the latest from the college's Student Union by connecting on Facebook.
There are plenty of college clubs to join including football, basketball, pool, rugby, GAA, cricket and table tennis. Societies to sign-up for include Beer Pong, Music, Poker, Drama, Griffiti (the college's magazine), Drama, Film & TV and more ... pop by the Student Union to find out more!
Some Student Union Events & Trips to look out for ...
The college's SU Halloween Event will be taking place on the 30th October in Lafayette Nightclub. Prizes on the night for the two best dressed!
Wristbands €5 are available from the SU.
The SU Christmas Party will be taking place on the 11 December – Venue TBC
Delphi Adventure Trip – 7-9 November
We will be heading to Delphi in Connemara, Co. Galway. Different activities are organised for all students to get involved in, including bog walking, raft building, rock climbing etc. There is one and a half days of activities organised for you. We will also be going out in Westport, Co. Mayo on the Saturday night, where we will go to a bar and a nightclub before returning home on Sunday.
This trip costs €100 which includes, your activities, accommodation, transport, 2 breakfast, 1 lunch and 2 dinners.
Bunratty – 5-7 December
This is a one night trip. We will be heading to Ennis in Co. Clare where we will stay for the night, on route we will stop at the Cliffs of Moher, where students will have the opportunity to walk around the cliffs and get pictures. That night we will be travelling to Bunratty Castle, where we will go to a Medieval Banquet which is an amazing experience.
This trip in €70 and includes transport, accommodation, dinner at the banquet and entrance to the cliffs.
Discovery Trip – 20-22 February 2015
This trip will give you a real taste of Ireland. On the 1st day we will be travelling from Dublin to Galway, where we will stop in Cong, Co. Mayo on the way.
On day two we will be travelling from Galway to Kerry. On route we will be stopping in Corcomroe Abbey, the Burren, the Baby Cliffs, and after lunch we will be making a stop at the Cliffs of Moher, where students can walk the cliffs. We will then be heading to Killarney for the night.
On the last day we will be heading from Killarney to Cork. We will be heading then to Blarney where students will get the chance to walk the grounds, and kiss the Blarney Stone and get the ‘Gift of the Gab’. From there we will be stopping at the Rock of Castle Dunamase. From there we will be heading back to Dublin.
This trip is €100 and includes accommodation, transport and entry in to all sights.
Surf Trip – 20-22 March 2015
The surf trip will be a 2 day trip which includes a 2 and ½ hour surf lesson on the Saturday. The trip takes place in Lahinch, Co. Clare.
This trip is €50 and will include accommodation, transport, surf lessons, surf boards and wetsuits are provided.
Contact the Student Union for more information on upcoming events.
Blogger: Lydia Casey