Certificate in Building Information Modelling (BIM) and Graphic Illustration
The Certificate in Building Information Modelling (BIM) and Graphic Illustration introduces the learner to BIM and will provide professionals with an additional skill set centred on BIM.
Students are introduced to the software Revit, and will develop an understanding of BIM’s technical issues through individual effort. Students will produce complex 3D models in the built environment to include interior and building services. They will extract 2D documentation plans, sections, elevations from the model and render 3D views to a high degree of expertise. Learners are also introduced to Bitmap & Vector Graphics applications such as Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop.
The graduates of this programme will be eligible to progress to careers in the construction industry and building design practices.
The programme is managed in the Design Faculty of Griffith College Dublin and is delivered by BIM experts from both the college and the industry. The course combines tutorial sessions in a PC lab/ classroom environment with face-to-face sessions and team coordination and guest lecturing leveraging cross-faculty links in Business (Project Management) and BIM experts from the industry.
Why study BIM and Graphic Illustration with Griffith College?
The programme creates opportunities for learners to take individual professional design responsibility of their product and their process and develop an ability to lead teams within their disciplines. Through the course, students will:
- Explain key topics and principles surrounding BIM and the benefits to be gained from its adoption.
- Devise and plot design details in a holistic manner with competence, fluency and sensitivity demonstrating a good understanding of the principles of interdisciplinary communication required in presenting projects generated by BIM.
- Use BIM software to produce 2D documentation plans, sections, elevations and to construct complex 3D models to include and building services efficiently, to industry standard.
- Produce photorealistic images of BIM models and project proposals.
- Use BIM software to produce specifications of work, time schedules, and costings for the construction industry
- Light and render interiors to a high degree of expertise while achieving an accurate and aesthetically pleasing visualisation of a proposed design.
- Use Bitmap and Vector Graphics applications to produce graphic illustrations to a required degree of proficiency in order to visually communicate proposals, drawings and specifications to high standards.
- Identify, select and apply appropriate products, materials and fittings based on an understanding of technology and specifications to a professional standard.
- Independently manage BIM projects assigned by others in the built environment.
This programme is an embedded special purpose award in the Diploma in Building Information Modelling (BIM) and Graphic Illustration programme. Graduates of this programme can progress directly to the diploma on completion, or within five years of their graduation.
- Designed to meet the skills required by industry
- Provides a foundation for participants who wish to progress in the workplace.
- Option to further your study with a pathway to BIM 3D Modelling.
- Friendly, approachable staff (who are experts in their fields), provide a supportive learning environment
- Full access to Student Adobe Creative Cloud - All Apps plan, which gives you 20+ cutting-edge creative tools for desktop, mobile, and web
The next intake for this course will be:
*subject to sufficient numbers
What our alumni & industry professionals say
This module enables the learner to develop basic skills in Building Information Modelling (BIM) using Revit. Within the module, learners are facilitated (learning by doing) to develop the skills to construct basic 3D models relating the built environment, and for interiors to include lighting. In completing the model, learners will be facilitated to research and select appropriate products, materials and fittings using their understanding of technology and professional standard specifications gained through the programme.
This module enables the learner to develop basic rendering skills using Revit. Using 3D model views, and computer-aided software, learners will develop the skills to create aesthetically pleasing interior and exterior renders and walkthroughs. They will develop an understanding of the importance of researching, specifying and including appropriate materials, textures, natural and artificial lighting in generating renders. This will be facilitated by the learners’ awareness of property location, material properties and daylight analysis.
This module enables the learner to develop their technical and computer application skills to support their engagement with BIM projects. Basic graphic illustration skills using Photoshop and InDesign are facilitated. Having produced their basic presentations, learners will then work in 2D, 3D and Photoshop (learning by doing) to illustrate their designs. They will additionally be enabled to develop their workflow skills to complete the projects.
One evening per week from 6.30-9.30pm and every second Saturday from 10–5 pm, for one semester.
How to Apply
- Applicants to the programme must meet normal QQI requirements, Level 7 or equivalent, award on the National Framework of Qualifications.
- The applicants require a background from building design and construction-related programmes or a cognate discipline and require prior knowledge in the following areas:
- a) Proficient in 2D CAD or other architectural technical tools.
- b) Experience in 3D CAD or other architectural technical tools.
Applicants will be asked to provide a sample of their work/portfolio.
How to Apply
Applicants should apply directly to Griffith College.
For purposes of fee calculation, residence is counted from time of application.
General Fee Information
An Academic Administration Fee of EUR250.00, a 2% Learner Protection Charge and EUR50 QQI Award fee is applicable each academic year in addition to the fees quoted below. The fees below relate to Year 1 fees only.
Study Mode: Part-Time
2050 EUR (+ 250EUR Registration charge, + 2% Learner Charge of 62.50EUR + QQI Award Fee of 200EUR)
Direct Debit Scheme
Students wishing to pay for their fees monthly may avail of our direct debit scheme. Please view our Fees information page to review the payment plan schedule and how to apply.
Is your company paying for your course?
They will need to complete a Griffith College Sponsorship Form and send this to the Student Fees Office:
- Post: Student Fees, Griffith College Dublin, South Circular Road, Dublin 8
- Email: [email protected]
2% Learner Protection Charge
All QQI accredited programmes of education and training of 3 months or longer duration are covered by arrangements under section 65 (4) of the Qualifications and Quality Assurance (Education and Training) Act 2012 whereby, in the event of the provider ceasing to provide the programme for any reason, enrolled learners may transfer to a similar programme at another provider, or, in the event that this is not practicable, the fees most recently paid will be refunded.
QQI Award Fee
Please note that a QQI Award Fee applies in the final year of all QQI courses. To find the relevant fee for your course level, please see the Fees page.
This course provides a pathway to BIM-related programmes.
Graduates of this programme can progress directly to the Diploma in Building Information Modelling (BIM) & Graphic Illustration on completion, or within five years of their graduation.