This course gives learners the skills they need to carry out effective mediation in order to resolve disputes.
The programme is not only relevant to those who wish to become a qualified mediator but is of great benefit to anyone who manages people or situations and as such may require dispute resolution skills. Managers – whether that be HR or department heads, for example, recruiters, Gardai, armed forces and those in the prison service are all examples of individuals who would come up against disputes on a regular basis. As such, having the skills to effectively mediate in a professional and impartial manner would be of great benefit.
Our Certificate in Mediation is validated by Quality and Qualifications Ireland (QQI) at Level 8 of the National Framework of Qualifications (NFQ) and is recognised by the Mediators’ Institute of Ireland (MII), the Irish Professional Mediators' Organisation (IPMO) and the International Mediation Institute (IMI). This part-time course combines a mixture of online and in-class lectures (with in-class lectures taking place at the weekends only).
Why Study Mediation at Griffith College?
Our Certificate in Mediation aims to ensure that the student will be a confident, highly effective and self-reflective mediator, with advanced knowledge of the principles of mediation and the mediation process. Benefits of the course include:
- The programme sits on the National Framework of Qualifications and as such is internationally recognised.
- Part-time study minimises disruption to existing work/life commitments.
- Individual Conflict Dynamics Profile (CDP-I) assessments are carried out as part of the course. This unique assessment focuses specifically on conflict behaviours and provides learners with a tailored report that analyses their unique mediation style, gives customised feedback and tools to improve. Unlike other courses which require learners to undertake this costly assessment at an additional expense, the CDP-I is already built into our programme.
- Graduates of the Certificate in Mediation are eligible to apply to the Mediators’ Institute of Ireland (MII), the Irish Professional Mediators' Organisation (IPMO) and the International Mediation Institute (IMI) subject to meeting the relevant entry requirements.
- Regular mediation practice (both formal and informal) is built into the programme, ensuring learners gain practical skills which they can immediately put into effect.
- All lecturers are either qualified mediators and/or practicing lawyers who engage in mediation on a day-to-day basis and therefore have the most up to date knowledge in the field.
- Learners will acquire other highly transferable skills which would be attractive to a wide range of business sectors, skills including advanced communication and listening skills.
- All materials will be provided and made available in class and through our online platform, Moodle.
- Internationally recognised QQI Level 8 qualification.
- Conflict Dynamics Profile (CDP-I) Assessment.
- Graduates are eligible to apply to the MII, the IPMO and the IMI for membership.
- Regular opportunities to role-play through different scenarios.
- Critical thinking, evaluation and reflective practice skills
- Experienced and practitioner mediation lecturers.
- Independent learning.
- Flexible study mode.
The next intake for this course will be:
*subject to sufficient numbers
What our students say
"On completion I definitely possessed an advanced knowledge of the principles of mediation and the mediation process. Both Paul Pierse and Mary Lou O' Kennedy were outstanding in their delivery of the course; they made it both hugely interesting and fun with a great emphasis placed on team work. I would highly recommend this course!"